Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Projects Continued...

Every summer I take about a week or two and don't do anything but relax!!  After two weeks though, I start to get antsy.  I start working on new things for the next school year, coming up with things to make, and different ways to rearrange my room.  I go up to the school to feed our class pets, but end up doing a little work every time I go!  This summer, I started my projects off with my chairs.  They have been sanded, primed, and have a first coat on them.  I just gotta put on a 2nd coat and then the bees!  That'll keep me occupied for about....two days :-)

After stalking all of these great blogs out there I found some really great ideas!  These are two of the things I worked on tonight:

1. Sight Word Chants!
Kathleen over at Growing Kinders posted about these sight word chants.  You put the chant on a popsicle stick, stick them in a can or jar, and pull them out to practice spelling sight words!  These are excellent time fillers, and a great way to review! I had a Crystal Light packet can and they fit perfectly in there!  I'm out of ink at the moment, but as soon as I get some, I can make a cute label for it! They took a little while to make, but I know they will be totally worth it!
2. Highlighter Sticks!
I had heard of these before, but never really got to make them.  I used a clear subject divider, a little rubber cement, and a popsicle stick again!  They went into another Crystal Light container.  I'll be using these during small group and the kids can look for and highlight sight words in their books.  I got this idea from Mrs. Lee's Blog.


Other summer projects include:
Making Take-Home Book Bags
Making the Barrel of Monkeys Game
Making some card games (any suggestions?)
Making Vocab posters to be used in the writing center for each theme

And people just think teachers have a "3-Month Vacation"! HA! :-)

What are your summer projects?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the chant sticks! Wonderful idea! I need popsicle sticks NOW! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda! If you go to this blog...http://stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.com she used the same chant sticks, but she added some and changed some to fit 2nd grade better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...